Today’s episode is really special. Joining us today is Laurie Halter, and we talked about a subject that hits home for the both of us; mentorship and sponsorship. Laurie is the owner of Charisma Communications, a boutique public relations agency specializing in automotive, retail, and technology industries. She is also the host of the Carearing Podcast.
Let’s dive into Laurie’s story of how mentorship can impact our lives and help mold us into great leaders as we move forward.
[00:01 – 01:33] Opening Segment
- I talked briefly about valuable information that you can take advantage of in this episode
- I introduce my guest, Laurie Halter
- Quick plug to Laurie’s Carearing Podcast where I will be talking about how women can be innovative in their everyday lives
[01:34 – 13:16] You Need a Mentor
- Laurie talked about why people with mentors perform better
- How mentorship impacted Laurie’s career
- Same-sex mentorship
- We share our experiences with mentorship
- Mentors seeing themselves in you and that’s what draws them
- How men and women impact and contribute differently to their work environment
- Laurie shares the most important lessons she learned from her mentor
- You can be friendly, open, and accommodating but still be assertive and a leader
- Believe in yourself
- I talked about mentorship versus sponsorship
[13:17 – 20:40] How to Find a Mentor
- What holds people back from getting a mentor?
- Here are some tips for where to find mentors and attributes that Laurie looks for in her mentors
- Find mentors at work, networking groups, or on LinkedIn
- Think hard about where you want to go in your professional life, your values, and find someone who aligns with that
- Laurie answers the question, how do you know when you are ready to be a mentor?
- She shares some do’s and don’ts when approaching someone that you want to be your mentor
[20:41 – 23:05] Closing Segment
- Final thoughts for our listeners?
- Mostly for women: “Look for the women who are in leadership roles that you feel you have a personal connection with that can help you because it really is so incredible to have someone in a leadership role believing in you, encouraging you, and supporting you. It just adds a whole other dimension to your career journey. I’d really encourage the younger female listeners to find a mentor.”
- For more information on Laurie, be sure to follow her on the links below.
- Final words from me
“You can be kind and kind of soft but at the same time have assertiveness and be taken seriously.” – Laurie Halter
“I feel like that’s so valuable to have somebody that you can point to and say, I honestly don’t think I’d be who I am today if it wasn’t for that person.” – Natalie Born
“The energy you bring to the room has to be sometimes determined by who’s sitting in it.” – Laurie Halter
You can connect with Laurie on LinkedIn and please listen to us on her podcast, Carearing Podcast. You can also visit their website http://www.charismacommunications.com/.
Today's SPONSORSHIP is brought to you by Territory Global. You can connect with us on Instagram, and Twitter or visit our website territory.co Join the work forward movement!
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone empower their business through collaboration, innovation, and transformation by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.
These are proven solutions to advance your leadership and innovation process. Check out our website innovationmeetsleadership.com or connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube.
Don't forget to subscribe and leave a 5-star review!
Let’s go transform something!