“"Don't take goal setting in your life too seriously. Goals are guideposts along the journey.” – Matteo Grassi
In this episode of the podcast, Innovation Meets Leadership host Natalie Born interviews Mateo Grassi, co-founder and CEO of the funded startup Popup. Through his remarkable journey from street performer to successful entrepreneur, Mateo shares his experience bootstrapping a business until it was ready for funding, as well as the difficulties and opportunities that come with being an entrepreneur.
They discuss Mateo’s experience of scaling an e-commerce store from zero to 4 million in two weeks, only to have all profits lost due to disputes and fines from credit card providers. Additionally, they compare the pre-tech bubble landscape to today's remote work opportunities which have opened up possibilities of living and working abroad without language barriers.
Finally, they speak about the importance of self-regulation when it comes to technology and social media use, setting boundaries for oneself when it comes to media consumption and finding one’s big “why” - a goal that can never be achieved - in order to stay motivated throughout life.
Matteo Grassi is co-founder of Popup, a no code eCommerce platform for the next generation, has also founded 7 direct-to-consumer brands, an NGO/DAO, and an anonymous support group for founders. Prior to this, they were a professional break-dancer and circus performer who also produced and performed music. Matteo now creates documentaries, interviews, and shows for YouTube. Known to share either a lame joke or intriguing trivia upon meeting in person.
[00:00 - 08:23] Innovating in E-Commerce
• Mateo Grassi is the co-founder and CEO of a funded startup called Popup
• Before that he founded a successful e-commerce company called Viceroy and was a brand consultant for companies like Ferrari and Alpha Romeo
• Popup is his latest venture, which he bootstrapped before raising funding in November 2020
• The company was started during Matteo's time at Visa Group, a portfolio company of seven direct-to-consumer brands on Shopify.
[08:23 - 19:24] A Journey of Exploration, Not Destination
• Raising with the pitch stack and your story is not enough anymore; investors want proof that their money will create a return
• In 2018, an e-commerce store scaled from zero to 4 million in two weeks with one product, but ended up losing the money due to disputes and credit card fines
• As an entrepreneur, it is crucial to maintain a sense of adaptability and flexibility.
• Entrepreneurship should be seen as a way to achieve freedom, not just make money
[19:24 - 27:42] Breaking the News Cycle
• Excessive use of technology is concerning for relationships and can lead to a false sense of community and relationship.
• Social media creates constant stress, which leads to anxiety and the desire to know what is going on.
• News is filtered, and it's limited, so people need to be aware of their social media consumption.
• Limiting social media usage is essential for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
"People should embark in a journey of being an entrepreneur the same way you embark in a journey where like in an adventure. And you don't go in an adventure because you necessarily want to reach a destination. You go in an adventure because you love the adventure.” – Matteo Grassi
“Sometimes you have to be pushed to the limits to realize that maybe a problem was small before it got really, really big. But then once you solve it, you solve it." – Matteo Grassi
Connect with Matteo
Check out Natalie's New Book: SET IT ON FIRE: The Art of Innovation available now at https://setitonfire.co/
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone empower their businesses through collaboration, innovation, and transformation by sharing this episode or clicking here to listen to our previous episodes.
These are proven solutions to advance your leadership and innovation process. Check out our website innovationmeetsleadership.com, or connect with me on Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube
Don't forget to subscribe and leave a 5-star review. Let's go transform something!